Usually I start with InnoDB bug fixes, but in 5.7.20 several related fixes were made only to bugs reported internally. So, this time I have to start with partitioning:
- Bug #86255 - First one to write about, and the bug report is private... Second one (Bug #76418) is also private. All we have is this:
"Partitioning: In certain cases when fetching heap records a partition ID could be set to zero. (Bug #86255, Bug #26034430)"
"Partitioning: Queries involving
NULLwere not always handled correctly on tables that were partitioned by
LIST. (Bug #76418, Bug #20748521)"
Lucky I am, there were several bug fixes related to replication:
- Bug #85352 - "Replication regression with RBR and partitioned tables". This regression bug (comparing to 5.5.x) was reported by Juan Arruti and immediately verified by Umesh Shastry. I do not know why it is listed as InnoDB in the release notes, as it hardly can be about native InnoDB partitioning, based on versions affected.
- Bug #86224 - "mysqlrplsync errors out because slave is using --super-read-only option". It was reported by Richard Morris and verified by Bogdan Kecman.
- Bug #84731 - "Group Replication: mysql client connections hang during group replication start", was reported by Kenny Gryp and verified by Umesh Shastry. Another bug reported by Kenny was also fixed in 5.7.20, Bug #84798 - "Group Replication can use some verbosity in the error log".
- Bug #86250 - "thd->ha_data[ht_arg->slot].ha_ptr_backup == __null || (thd->is_binlog_applier()". This debug assertion was reported by Roel Van de Paar and verified by Umesh Shastry.
- Bug #85639 - "XA transactions are 'unsafe' for RPL using SBR". It was reported by João Gramacho.
- Bug #86288 - "mysqlbinlog read-from-remote-server not honoring rewrite_db filtering", was reported by Julie Hergert.
- Bug #85622 - "5.6: wrong results with materialization, views". It was reported by Shane Bester. Even though it was initially stated that only 5.6 is affected, release notes say there was a fix for 5.7.20 and even 8.0.3.
- Bug #82992 - "Some warnings appear in dump from mysqldump". This funny bug was found by Nong LO and verified by Sinisa Milivojevic.
- Bug #81714 - "mysqldump get_view_structure does not free MYSQL_RES in one error path". Thisbug was reported by Laurynas Biveinis, but it was noticed and patched by Yura Sorokin, also from Percona.
- Bug #83950 - "LOAD DATA INFILE fails with an escape character followed by a multi-byte one", was reported by yours truly and verified by Umesh Shastry. Unfortunately the bug report itself does NOT say explicitly what versions had got the fix.
- Bug #79596 - "If client killed after ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT previous stmts committed". This regression and potential data corruption bug was reported by Sveta Smirnova, verified by Umesh Shastry and studied at the source code level by Zhai Weixiang. Nice to see it fixed!
This was my very last attempt to do a detailed review of bug reports from MySQL Community based on official Release Notes. With private bugs and very few fixes for things coming from the public bugs database in general, it seems to make zero sense now to continue these. Authors of patches contributed are properly mentioned by Oracle, and we all know who verify community bug reports... One Twitter message would be enough to fit everything I have to say, and any real details should better be checked in git commits.
It's time to get back to the roots of this series and maybe write about bugs just opened, bugs not properly handled or just funny ones. I think it helped a lot back in 2013 to make MySQL 5.6 a release that was commonly accepted as a "good one". It's not fun any more and not much useful to report Oracle achievements in public bugs fixing, so I'd better switch to their problems.